The Frodo Franchise by Kristin Thompson
 

Archive for November, 2010

November 28 : 2010

Hobbit to be shot on Red’s new Epic cameras

The website for the Red Digital Cinema firm today posted this press release:

November 28, 2010, RED Studios Hollywood, Hollywood, Ca.RED announces that Peter Jackson’s two film adaptation of The Hobbit will be shot in 3D using RED DIGITAL CINEMA’S soon to be released EPIC Digital Cameras.

The successor to RED’s industry changing RED ONE, the EPIC has 5K resolution, can shoot up to 120 frames per second and has a new HDRx™ mode for the highest dynamic range of any digital cinema camera ever made. Taking everything they had learned from building their first camera, RED designed the EPIC from scratch and have produced a smaller, lighter camera that is an order of magnitude more powerful.

The Hobbit will be amongst the first productions in the world to use the EPIC and at least thirty cameras will be required by the 3-D production. The EPIC’S small size and relatively low weight, makes it perfect for 3-D – where two cameras have to be mounted on each 3D rig.

Jackson has a long history with RED, dating back to when he directed the short film ‘Crossing the Line’ as a very early test of prototype RED ONE cameras. “I have always liked the look of Red footage.” he says, “I’m not a scientist or mathematician, but the image Red produces has a much more filmic feel than most of the other digital formats. I find the picture quality appealing and attractive, and with the Epic, Jim and his team have gone even further. It is a fantastic tool, the Epic not only has cutting edge technology, incredible resolution and visual quality, but it is also a very practical tool for film makers. Many competing digital systems require the cameras to be tethered to large cumbersome VTR machines. The Epic gives us back the ability to be totally cable free, even when working in stereo.”

Jim Jannard the owner and founder of RED flew to New Zealand earlier this year with members of his team so that Jackson could test the EPIC and assess its suitability. “Everybody at RED is incredibly proud that Peter has chosen the Epic” says Jannard, “The Hobbit is a major production, and could have chosen any camera system that they wanted. The fact that they went with us is extremely gratifying.”

For more on the Epic camera, see here. The Epic is the successor to the Red camera, which was used on District 9 and The Lovely Bones.

November 25 : 2010

Anecdotes from one of the Hobbit casting sessions

Stuff.co has some anecdotes and footage from the Hobbit audition session that took place on November 23. There’s a video of a little over a minute, showing a 3 Foot 7 representative laying out the ground rules for the auditions. The text describes some of the people who showed up, including some who had been extras in the trilogy.  It also describes what procedures were carried out during each person’s five-minute session, including having his or her feet measured.

Not too surprisingly, a lot more people showed up for this extras’ casting call than did for the original Lord of the Rings films.

November 25 : 2010

MGM still on schedule for restructuring plan approval

MGM’s filing for a prestructured bankruptcy is still due to be decided on by the judge on December 2. According to Variety, two final meetings need to take place:

The deadline for court filings of any objections to the plan is on Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. And a required meeting of creditors — where they can question MGM reps — has been set to take place in Manhattan on Tuesday, two days before the court hearing.

“Attendance by the creditors at the meeting is welcomed by not required,” MGM said in a court filing. “At the meeting, the credtiors may examine the debtors and transact such other business as may properly come before the meeting.”

As I reported previously, on November 12 the judge approved parts of the plan, including giving permission for the studio to raise $500 million in loans in order to expand its currently minimal operations. That includes at least part of the reported $250 million that MGM will be contributing as co-producer of The Hobbit.

Unless some sort of drama erupts at one of those meetings, a week from now we can expect to see a resolution of MGM’s long-running financial woes.

November 13 : 2010

Weta Digital and Park Road Post win post-production awards

The state-of-the-art post-production facilities built by Peter Jackson and his colleagues for The Lord of the Rings continue to win awards. This time it’s the Hollywood Post Alliance awards (whose eligibility period runs from September to September). Here are the films and people who won:

Sound – Feature Film
“District 9”
Michael Hedges, Gilbert Lake, Brent Burge and Chris Ward – Park Road Post Production

Compositing – Feature Film
“Avatar”
Erik Winquist, Robin Hollander, Erich Eder and Giuseppe Tagliavini – Weta Digital

These days, “compositing” refers to the digital combination of different visual elements into a single image. (Think green-screen work or those long shots of Rivendell combining real waterfalls, a miniature building, background paintings, and so on.)

Of course, these same companies and probably these same people will be working on The Hobbit. Congratulations to them all!

(From Variety.)

November 12 : 2010

Judge approves parts of MGM bankruptcy plan

Variety reports that MGM’s bankruptcy case is moving along smoothly and quickly:

A federal bankruptcy court has cleared several hurdles for confirmation of MGM’s bankruptcy plan on Dec. 2 – including granting permission to the studio to seek a $500 million loan to ramp up operations.

In a Friday hearing in Manhattan, Judge Stuart Bernstein authorized amendments to MGM’s “pre-packaged” plan of reorganization after finding that the modifications were immaterial.

Those modifications excluded the Spyglass Entertainment library from the deal, thus reducing the stake that Spyglass will have in the revamped MGM from 5% to less than 1%. Spyglass toppers Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum will become the new heads of MGM once it emerges from Chapter 11 protection.

Bernstein also approved a $4 million breakup fee, to be paid to Spyglass if there’s a breach of its agreement with the studio along with MGM’s request to manage its cash in bankruptcy.

“Approval of these motions will help pave the way for MGM to confirm its plan,” the studio said in a statement.

The $500 million loan mentioned in the first paragraph includes part of MGM’s co-financing of The Hobbit. The court had already approved MGM’s using $40 million of cash-on-hand to start its payment on the estimated $500 million budget of the two-part film. MGM is contracted to pay half of the film’s production costs and will distribute the film outside the North American market.

The approval of the “breakup fee” of $4 million to be paid to Spyglass in case the current bankruptcy case is not successful does not mean that the Spyglass deal is off. It only means that in the unlikely event that the Spyglass deal fell through at this late date, MGM could use its cash to pay that fee.

So the co-financing of The Hobbit moves one significant step closer to happening. All this has happened only nine days after the bankruptcy case was filed, suggesting that the goal to resolve the case by December 2 should be met. In the meantime, Warner Bros. is footing the bill for the pre-production on The Hobbit.

November 12 : 2010

Post-boycott, Kiwi actors and producers may be ready to sit down and negotiate

Yesterday the New Zealand Herald posted a video reporting on a meeting of SPADA (Screen Producers and Directors Association) in Auckland. There was a discussion of factors in the recent actors’ boycott of The Hobbit; the onstage speakers were Phillipa Boyens, Richard Fletcher (a producer and the former CEO of SPADA), and Penelope Borland (current CEO of SPADA). It’s quite interesting, and at the end there was some give and take with an actor in the audience, Graham Dunster, of Auckaland Actors. Afterward the reporter interviewed Dunster and Robyn Malcolm, an actress who was prominent in speaking out in favor of the boycott. The video lasts just under 18 minutes, out of a 45 minute discussion. (“Stoush” in the title of the video, is an Australian and Kiwi term meaning a fight.)

Malcolm acted in the LOTR trilogy, playing Morwen, the mother who puts her children and sends them to safety in Edoras when their village is attacked by orcs.

For those who want a written summary, see here.

Although there is still some dispute about facts, the meeting apparently represents some progress toward the actors and production people being willing to sit down together and work out solutions without the results being tied to a specific film production. Indeed, Stuff.co.nz reported yesterday that the actors and SPADA have agreed to meet at a hui (a Maori word for a social gathering):

SPADA board member Richard Fletcher said communication was the key to healing the wounds created by the conflict.

“We can only move forward if we’re going to talk.”

Actor representative Peter Elliott agreed.

“It’s time to put our big boys’ pants on and get in the room and start talking.”

The date hasn’t been set yet.

November 11 : 2010

Ian McKellen nudges Warner Bros. for contract

While he was in Savannah Film Festival, Ian McKellen spoke to show-biz site PopEater:

McKellen is currently enjoying the six months of the year when he doesn’t work — we love his life! — but he said that when he returns to the trade, he hopes it will be as Gandalf.

“I expect my next job, if all goes well, I will play Gandalf in ‘The Hobbit,'” McKellen told us.

“I’m still waiting for a contract.”

When we told McKellen that we would love to see him in the role, he told us to “pass that onto Warner Bros.” So as a service to Sir Ian, that is exactly what we are doing. Get on the ball WB!

That sounds to me, though I could be wrong, that the negotiations process is over and Ian is just waiting to sign on the dotted line. He gives a pretty strong nudge there, and on November 6 he posted a link to the PopEater story on his Facebook page.

There’s a minute-and-a-half clip of the interview with Ian, charming as always. I’ve copied-and-pasted the quote above from the website, but the transcription is slightly off, and it’s not absolutely complete on the Hobbit situation, so the clip is worth watching.

November 9 : 2010

summary of the actors’ unions boycott of The Hobbit and why it failed

Reuters has posted a summary looking at the factors that caused the Hobbit boycott called by the Australian and New Zealand actors’ unions to fail. It’s not exactly news, but it does give a good runthrough. It also suggests where the unions’ tactics were faulty. As the article points out, with many locations around the world offering various incentives to big-budget productions from Hollywood and elsewhere, such struggles are likely to become more common.

November 5 : 2010

Barber and Birnbaum to take over running of MGM directly after bankruptcy approval

Gary Barber says that he and Roger Birnbaum will take over the running of MGM in about a month:

Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum will be running MGM within three or four days after a federal court approves the Lion’s reorganization plan on Dec. 2, Barber said Friday.

But that’s all Barber would reveal about his new gig when appearing at AFM’s annual finance conference on Friday in Santa Monica. Even before Barber took the stage, moderator P. John Burke of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld sternly instructed that Barber wasn’t able to discuss MGM.

MGM’s bankruptcy filing, now awaiting a judge’s decision, involves a prestructured plan. The details have already been worked out, so once the studio receives approval on December 2, there’s no reason why the plan could not be implemented immediately. The studio’s request to retain money enough during the hearing to finance its current operations means that $40 million will be available to help co-produce The Hobbit. The remainder of MGM’s half-share in the production will be provided via a loan once the studio emerges from the bankruptcy process.

The quotation comes from a Variety article posted today.

November 4 : 2010

Guillermo del Toro talks about leaving The Hobbit, plus his new projects

The Independent has a fairly long story on Guillermo del Toro, past, present, and future. Along with talking about his Mexican films and discussing his At the Mountains of Madness project, he describes the problems that drove him to quit The Hobbit and move his family back to North America:

While the film now has a tentative start date of next February (with British actor Martin Freeman due to play Bilbo Baggins), del Toro is the one who has seemingly suffered the most. After spending two years in pre-production, he had received no assurances that it was a go-project, due in part to financial problems at MGM, one of three studios behind it. “It was starting to weigh [on me] in a way that was not positive for me or the project,” he says. “People need to fathom this – yes, of course a director sticks with a project for ten years… I’ve done it myself. But to relocate your entire family life, home, for a period that long without any certainty that it will get made or when it will get made… it started to become very worrisome.”

He is married to his high-school sweetheart Lorenza, and del Toro had brought her and their two daughters, Mariana and Marisa, out to Wellington to live while he worked with Jackson on the project. “I really loved the country and could’ve lived there,” he says. Does he regret the time spent, now he has quit? “I tell you in my life, I try not to deal with regrets. I have a huge heartbreak. I have incredible sadness. I have disappointment. I have heartache. I have a piece of me that is dented forever. But no regrets. I don’t believe in regrets. It’s a huge part of me. And I believe it was the best for me and the project.”

(The story doesn’t mention the fact that Guillermo is one of the four scriptwriters and presumably will have a connection with the film, even though he is no longer directing it.

Next »

    The Frodo Franchise
    by Kristin Thompson

    US flagbuy at best price

    Canadian flagbuy at best price

    UK flagbuy at best price

    Berkeley: University of California Press, 2007.
    hardcover 978-0-520-24774-1
    421 pages, 6 x 9 inches, 12 color illustrations; 36 b/w illustrations; 1 map; 1 table

    “Once in a lifetime.”
    The phrase comes up over and over from the people who worked on Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings. The film’s 17 Oscars, record-setting earnings, huge fan base, and hundreds of ancillary products attest to its importance and to the fact that Rings is far more than a film. Its makers seized a crucial moment in Hollywood—the special effects digital revolution plus the rise of “infotainment” and the Internet—to satisfy the trilogy’s fans while fostering a huge new international audience. The resulting franchise of franchises has earned billions of dollars to date with no end in sight.

    Kristin Thompson interviewed 76 people to examine the movie’s scripting and design and the new technologies deployed to produce the films, video games, and DVDs. She demonstrates the impact Rings had on the companies that made it, on the fantasy genre, on New Zealand, and on independent cinema. In fast-paced, compulsively readable prose, she affirms Jackson’s Rings as one the most important films ever made.

    The Frodo Franchise

    cover of Penguin Books’ (NZ) edition of The Frodo Franchise, published September 2007. The tiny subtitle reads: “How ‘The Lord of the Rings’ became a Hollywood blockbuster and put New Zealand on the map.”